Long, short, puffy, belted, wooly, ruffled, tweedy, bouclé-tweedy, shearling-trimmed, double-breasted, single-breasted, padded, maxi, mini, prints, no prints. Everything is in when talking about outwear as long as you find the one that hugs you best.
Or the one that hangs on you best – thanks to Acne Studios – who do bring the news in the newsflash this fall and turn the jacket into the cherry on top. Literally. As we dress up and precisely before getting out, we throw the jacket on top just like we would with a cherry on a cake. Careful with the layers, the slippery chocolate mousse under the meringue, the vanilla flowing from the core. The mise en place!
So I refused to wear a coat or jacket for almost the whole fall so far, but since the wind the other days nearly took me to Wizard’s realm (it actually did hello!), I started to take wearing one into consideration. So I got them all out and had a look at. I don’t need a new one – pfew! – though you know how it is… You always have your eyes on one. For when it boils down to the that ridiculous price you are dreaming about.
Anyway, are you wearing a jacket? If so, don’t you sometimes find it way more complicated to throw it on yourself than to just lay a cherry on top of the cake? You finally know what to wear, what shoes to put on and then cold shows up and – boom! – you’re screwed, you have to stay at home.
Jk, of course. Go out and don’t wear one. Live a little.
Jk. There’s so many ways to find your inspiration from. I prefer playing with my (or anyone’s in the proximate vicinity) clothes and discover outfits to feel good and have fun in. Instagram. Street style. Or the designer fashion online. Not only you can find energising styling, but also the coat to drool over and stalk daily after safely putting on wishlist.
This is what I’ve learned about this fall/winter from rolling my eyes on net-a-porter + farfetch = the most fun combos, topshop and zara.
– we all say that white sneakers are out for the moment, but they are just so fucking perfect with everything (as seen on the aforementioned websites) that sometimes the freedom of getting out the door by just putting them on is well, you know it, f r e e d o m.
– cropped flared jeans are everywhere, which is great! The shoes won’t get dirty from the “flare” that tends to collect everything in the streets, the socks get to see the light and a radiator won’t be needed every time when trying to dry the wet long flared pants.
– obviously, dark colours rule as in they rule the dance floor since they are so many, yet we know which really do the dancing in a much smaller number. Wink.
– a trick when wearing a dark coloured coat is to have white – yup! – pants.
– a well cut and pretty loose pair of white pants are so cool in any weather.
– wide-leg pants in winter keep the flirty air from summertime.
– a monochromatic look under a coat looks not only put together, but also centred. Moreover, it elongates the figure.
Styling is very much like fine dining cuisine.